“The trim little vessel…has pleasing lines and is as carefully engineered as any high-end, oceangoing yacht.” Adrift No More, a Lifeboat that Sails, Twain Braden, Ocean Navigator
Every detail of the Portland Pudgy safety dinghy is carefully thought out and executed, including the built-in compass, the placement of the tow-eyes and shape of the triangulated bridle, the grab-line placement, the textured gunwales and floor, the drainage gutters and drain-plug, and much more. For detailed information see Prices and contact us for digital Owner’s Manual files.
The Portland Pudgy was also designed with comfort and stability in mind in its function as a dynamic lifeboat (for more information, see Life Raft-Lifeboat).
LOA: 7’ 8”. Width: 4’ 4”. Height: 2’ 4”. Weight: 128 lb. Interior cockpit length: 6’2″. Interior cockpit area: 16.1 sq. ft.
Capacity: USCG-approved, 557 lb (motor, passengers, and gear). 4 person, 2HP. (This is greater than most 10′ boats.)
For dimensional drawings, click here. For detailed information on the basic boat and all accessories, contact us for digital Owner’s Manual files.
Hull Material and Construction (Basic Boat)
The Portland Pudgy safety dinghy is rotation-molded polyethylene (the same high quality, compounded, high density polyethylene that is used in ocean kayaks).
The hull is double (hollow inside) and the area under the floor is filled with closed cell foam, which makes the boat unsinkable.
The water-tight compartments inside the walls of the hull add to the boat’s buoyancy and are accessible via screw-on hatches for additional storage.
The hull is molded with great attention to detail. The floor and gunwales have non-skid texturing. Drainage channels lead to the drain plug at the stern. Four reinforced built-in through-holes just below the gunwales serve as strong attachment points.
Basic Boat Standard Components
Every Portland Pudgy safety dinghy includes the following components:
- Two 6’-6” collapsible oars w/retaining sleeves & collars
- Richie compass, standard (optional electrical system illuminates compass)
- Towing bridle harness (secures to two stainless steel eyes with backer disk for towing, lifting, sea anchor).
- Tethered drain plug (Self draining carrying 25 lbs or less).
- Strong polyethylene hand-holds bolted into keel for righting boat (which comes up dry after capsize)
- Three seats with hand holds (middle seat adjusts to two rowing positions for extra space and load/ballast adjustments)
- Five storage/access hatches w/gaskets (6.4” inside diameter. All accessories: sail kit, oars, exposure canopy, sea anchor, etc. fit through access hatches)
- Four reinforced through-holes fore and aft (used for tie-down, for securing fender/boarding ladder, and for use with an anti-theft, locking security cable)
- Four stainless steel oarlock sockets (for use w/adjustable middle seat), two stainless steel oarlocks (w/locking system to secure oars to boat)
- Double roller wheels (allows one person to roll boat on dock or landing ramp)
- Grab lines (four)
- SOLAS approved reflective strips (three)
- Motor mount and aluminum retaining plate (removable) for long shaft 2HP motors.